Saturday, May 16, 2009

AAAAHHHHHHHHHH................

If I had one more day on earth I know where I would spend it....

PETERHOF PALACE!!!

So this place is absolutely gorgeous! I'll let you in on a few facts:
*After the victory over the Swedes in 1709, Peter the Great decided to build a palace "befitting to the very highest of monarchs"
*Later, a visit to Versailles furthered his ambitions with the Palace.
*It took 9 years for 5,000 people to finish Peterhof
*There are 144 fountains
*They are run by gravity (there is a lake above the level of the palace, that the water comes from)
*8,000 gallons of water are pumped per second through the fountains! (I still can't believe that!)
*In the "Peter" days, all guests would arrive by boat, they would ride a Gondala up the main channel to the palace.
*For each building in Peterhof, there is a Cascade of Fountains! Its amazing.....
*Oh and this is the "Palace by the Sea" that Anastasia was born at, and her brother, Alexis, was actually baptized in the Cathedral that you will see...

Ah I'll just let you see the pictures, just know that they don't do it justice, It honestly is so amazingly beautiful there!





Oh my gosh, I love it there, the day started out, sorta cloudy, with a light breeze, but as it went on it just got more and more blue and beautiful! I am really going to miss St. Petersburg! There is so much to do and see here, I am definitely going to want to come back someday! I can't believe that I am only going to be here for 8 more days! A chapter of my life is ending, but a new one beginning! Ah...Love you all!

Dena

p.s. Mom did you see how long my hair is? It has grown 5 inches since I've been here!

4 comments:

Laura Reay said...

Yes your hair is long and you look beautiful. I want to go back there with you when you go. I love you, have fun! Love Mom

Laura Reay said...

Yes your hair is long and you look beautiful. I will go back with you when you go, it looks so fun. Have fun and remember I love you, Mom.

Bee said...

Dena I looked at the picture slide show and decided that it isn't fair how stylish you are. Seriously! Anyway, I'm excited to be officially following your blog now and can't wait to keep up with your future travels as we part ways in a few days. (I hope you appreciated my rhyme right there.) It makes me glum now, to think of our departures, though at the same time, I am so eager to see what God has in store for the both of us...Now I am beginning to get off topic from commenting your post and should perhaps use these thoughts for a post on my own blog. Anyway, the slideshow was a delight and I am in complete agreement with your words about the wonderful dreamland.

A. said...

By the way, I love the music on your profile.

(Sorry if I might be confusing you from commenting from two seperate blogging accounts!)