Friday, September 11, 2009

Kamyanets-Podilsky, Hotin Castle, and the Mountain Caves!

So Ukraine, never ceased to amaze me! There are so many beautiful places there... One of our weekends we took a train over to Kamyanets-Podilsky! It is a Castle City! It is just a really small, quaint town that is old, but majestic! The part that I liked best about it, is that it is all built on hilltops, so you have to cross bridges all the time, and there are beautiful cliffs with waterfalls and vines hanging! Its gorgeous! It was definitely a fun couple days..


This is us in front of the towns Cathedral... It was on the top of a hill, and was surrounded by an awesome park.

The houses were so cute, and of course they were colorful. I think if I had to pick one word to describe my trip it would have been colorful (or lack thereof... haha)

Some more pictures of the buildings in the city!

On the way to the Castle Branda stepped on a nail and it went right through her shoe! Unfortunately it was a really old, rusty nail, so I had to whip out my sewing kit and go Nurse on her foot! I ended up getting all of the metal out! I think that I deserve the friend award of the year for sure!

Another Cathedral (I cant count how many I have seen this year!) This one is older and really close to the Castle!
Haha...what do you think this is? You guessed it! Another Cathedral! This one was on the hilltop next to the Kamyanets Castle! It reminds me of a Fairytale Castle!

Here it is...The Kamyanets-Podilsky Castle!

Just Chillin against the Castle Wall...
A view out of one of the cool windows

Here I am inside the Castle Fortress just practicing my archery skills! I'm no Green Arrow, but I did make a pretty good shot! Dad would be proud! (i think)
The hill next to the castle, I assume that is where most of the people live because it is the hill with the most houses on it!
We had a driver take us about 45 minutes away from the Kamyanets Castle to another Castle and some caves that were discovered in a hill there! Here is us at the entrance to the caves! We felt like we were the Goonies!!!
Inside the caves...Yeah Branda thought that she was Golem/Smeegle the whole time! It was actually quite entertaining!

Here were are creeping around some rocks! Good thing Golem is showing us the way...
This is te road to the other Castle, the Hotin Castle... I don't exactly know what these things are but they had these dugout type things all around the castle...Maybe it was where people hid if the Castle was under attack. (that sounds fun right?)

The Hotin Castle.. It is right on a river bank...The river surrounds it at the bottom making a mote! It was really quite beautiful!
Here we are on the bridge before entering the Hotin Castle, just enjoying the moment! I still can't believe that I did all of this stuff!

We had so much fun, that by the end we were jumping for joy!
Overall we LOVED Kamyanets-Podilsky and all the Magical things we got to see and be apart of! This world has so many beautiful things to offer! I am so glad that I have had the opportunity to see so many of its wonders!
I love you all!
Dena



1 comment:

A. said...

Hahahaha I TOTALLY saw that last picture on the ILP newsletter! Wooo, major props gurl!