Friday, September 11, 2009

Parts of the Beautiful Kiev....

Really quick, It has been 8 years since the attacks of September 11th. I can hardly believe it, but I pray for those families at this hard time, this isn't exactly a happy anniversary for them! I will never forget that fateful day!

Kiev, Ukraine! I never thought that I would go there, and I never thought that I would love it so much! I don't really know what I was expecting, but it definitely wasn't this.....it is completely green, cobblestone roads, people that smile, and HOT, HUMID weather! We lived in a town called Boyarka, it was 45 minutes outside of the city! I was glad, because we didn't have as many opportunities to spend our money, and the air was a lot cleaner. And every time that we went into the city, we got to drive by the new TEMPLE! I am so excited for the members in Ukraine, their closest temple is Germany! Not for long...

This is one of the main streets downtown in the City! It was so fun to just walk around and look at the buildings! I didn't take as many pictures though, because by this time I was pictured-out.

This is on Souvenir street! We had so much fun there, it is this really long winding road that is down a hill. The people were all really nice there, but I didn't get anything really because they had all the same stuff as Russia, but worse quality for a bigger price.... dumb



This beautiful Cathedral was right on Souvenir street! I love all the colors that they use!
On the 4th of July, the American Chamber of Commerce held a party! So we went and there was supposed to be American food, and people speaking English, yeah well there really wasn't, but its ok because the fireworks at the end were good enough for me! Missing Holidays is one of the hardest parts about being away from Home! SO we were glad that they had something for us Americans in Ukraine!

Just another cool building, a little less colorful than St Pete's but still beautiful!

A communist building! They have these all over in Russia too, especially Moscow, Staling had them all built!

This is taken at the Kiev-Pachersk Lavra! It is a Beautiful Orthodox Christian Monastery there! It has underground caves where they still keep the bodies of Reverends. It was really interesting to wander in the caverns with a candle and your head covered and seeing these bodies, a lot of them with the hand sticking out so you could see that part of the corpse. Kindof gross, but...interesting!

This was us with our Candles and Scarves on our heads before we headed into the caves! You have to wear dresses there too...it was cool!
More at the Lavra...
There is a belltower there that has amazing acoustics, so we went in there and started singing Hymns! It sounded so beautiful and was such a spiritual experience, we brought our coordinator to tears!

This is on Kreschatik, the main street in Kiev. These people were from Nike, and they were always there break dancing. It was so entertaining to watch! They always had a huge crowd.

Walking down Kreschatik at night....Life's Good!

I think that this is Victory Square? Maybe, but It was fun to see everything lit up at night! This was one of the best nights that we had in Ukraine! We got Henna (haha) and were invited to Turkey on an all expense paid vacation! Then we had brownie mix and watched John Tucker Must Die, what can compete with that?


Plus we got to see this HUGE Harry Potter Poster! We couldn't wait to come home and see it!

2 Best Friends under the Friendship Arch! Its on top of a hill that looks out over the city and the Dnieper River. Amazing! There was a dance going on right under it as well....haha

We ate soup like every day! I wouldn't mind never eating it again! And a lot of the time it had nasty things in it! So just letting you guys all see what it was like! (I definitely don't miss the food!)

We went to the Ballet again! This time we saw Cinderella! It was really good, but not as good as the Russian Ballet! Sorry Ukrainians!

Branda, Holly and I inside the Opera House!
I loved my life in Boyarka! I would go back any time! There were a few hard days! But never dull moments! Living with 9 other girls, and getting along with every single one was such a blessing! There were never fights, or disagreements! It was perfect and I made bonds with all of them that will last a lifetime!
Love you all,
Dena

No comments: