Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I can feel you all around me....

Last week was AMAZING!!!

First I have to name some things in my life that I am SOOO Grateful for(in no particular order):

*My Gospel
*My Family
*My Friends
*Music
*Pride and Prejudice!

Let me tell you why...

Well General Conference always helps to put things into perspective for me! I love hearing from all of the General Authorities and the people God knows we need to hear from! Its refreshing to feel their spirit, even if it is just through a TV screen! So that set a good mood for my week! It was also cool to hear the Elizabeth Smart is going to serve a mission (my mom was sure that I was going to get called to Paris, France as well and we would be companions haha)

So the week went on... Monday we watched the Gordon B. Hinckley movie, which I really liked! A man as amazing as President Hinckley even had his human moments, and it's funny to hear about those!

Then Wednesday came, and the mail lady decided to not deliver our mail until 3:30!!! Can you believe it? It's ok, I didn't get a certain package anyway, nor the next day! Oh well, I thought, next week!

Then came Thursday night! Can I just say that I have the most amazing grandparents in the world? Their foundation, Deseret International, was celebrating its 20th birthday! And they have done such amazing things! Helping people all over the world one at a time!

There is something that Joseph Smith once said that will forever remind me of my grandparents. He said, "a man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race."


If only everyone could be like them...well they had the Celebration on Temple Square in SLC. We got to go and hear all about their progress and meet some amazing people; Elder and Sister Oaks, Jenny Oaks Baker, Elizabeth Smart, Daniel Beck, and many others...

The music that night, there are no words. I wish that I could play the Violin like Jenny Oaks Baker! It was touching! A really enjoyable night! It made me so proud of my family! I don't know what I did to deserve to be placed in such an amazing family! They truly teach me service and love for others! They are such examples to me! And my friends were there to share that with me!

So now its Friday! I'm not feeling to well for some reason, so I went downstairs and turned on my FAVORITE movie, Pride and Prejudice! (the long one with Colin Firth) And while I am down there just enjoying this great film, my mom screams down the stairs! I run upstairs....and guess what? That certain package arrived! I felt it was so fitting that it arrived while I was doing my favorite thing!

After waiting for all of those people to come over and be there with me while I opened it...The time finally came:

Dear Sister Reay:
You are hereby called to serve as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Dominican Republic Santo Domingo East Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 18 months.
You should report to the Provo Missionary Training Center on Wednesday, January 27, 2010. You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language.....

YAY!

Then to round it off, on Saturday I went horseback riding with my friends up Hobble Creek canyon! It was gorgeous! We had such a good time! Thanks to Holly!



I couldn't be happier! This time in my life seems to be the best time! And I am just so grateful that I have people all around me that are such good examples and are so supportive! All of my family, friends near and far, and my Heavenly Father who is always with me and helped me know that this is what I need to be doing right now in my life!

I love you all!

Dena

3 comments:

Kayla said...

DENA!!!! I am so excited for you and more so Im super proud of your decision to serve! Ill have to follow your blog and keep up with all your happenings! That is so exciting you are going to serve there! Seriously!?!!? Im happy for you!!!!
Kayla

Gardiner's said...

Dena! my mom told me you got your call but i havent gotten to talk to you. so i will write on here. Im so excited for you. you will be a great missionary. love you

A. said...

Dena I am so proud of you and very excited for your journey. More than preaching the physical book of the gospel, I know with all of my heart that you will preach the gospel of love, as you are always an example to me of what love is, how love acts, reacts, and behaves, and what it means to follow in Christ's footsteps and, in a sense, "become" love. Just as the Word is a footlamp to our path, I pray that you will be a footlamp to the path of Jesus Christ for the people of the Dominican Republic. I loved this post so much and can't wait until your farewell where you will see just how many friends and family you have caring for you and rooting you on in your life...This is where I would stick an inspirational quote if I had one, but I am hungry and my mind is rather empty these days. In any event, mucho loveo from Californiao. See you in January!